Ethné is the second of my main characters, a frustrated Arkavian girl of 21. Today I would like to tell you a little more about her and her life at the start of Warlords of The Dreaming God.
She whiles away her days imprisoned (as she perceives it) in the tiny village of Torlenmere, deep in the Velderwood. Torlenmere welcomes few travelers and traders passing through, lying as it does across a minor, rather indirect path through the forest. Outside news is scarce. Exciting it is not, save for the occasional outlaw band attacking villagers caught outside the wall.
So much smaller this place must seem then, for a young woman trying to learn magic. Ethné’s uncle and guardian Jerechai is a master of mind magic, one of the Five Forms. She has been under his tutelage since an early age but is yet to master her skills. Continual failure is destroying her confidence, yet she knows she has a unique talent. It is extremely rare for a magician to create magic without being trained. But she did. She has few memories of her childhood, but she remembers times where she would move objects with her mind. Sense the thoughts of others. Or unleash fire by accident. But these were long ago, before the forest. Before Jerechai became her teacher and she learnt the control that now binds her talent in a seemingly iron grip.
Jerechai’s former student Jendis occasionally visits from the League Arcana, the magician’s guild across the sea. He brings her gifts, paper, ink, scrolls to study. He speaks with Jerechai late into the night in languages she does not understand. Jerechai laughs light-heartedly when she asks what they talk about. But their secretive discussions will soon destroy her world and everything she knows. As a blood-red sun sets over the forest, Termaris and his mercenaries arrive in Torlenmere with a dire warning, and things change forever.
She is left with a golden vial of mysterious provenance. A creature from beyond the veil, sent to destroy it. And a dark journey which will lead Ethné to a power which once shaped the earth, sea and heavens.
- Opening scene from Hand of Ashaila (draft) - December 21, 2015
- Fantasy book giveaways - October 20, 2015
- Book giveaway for Knight of Aslath - September 24, 2015
- Should I enrol in Amazon KDP Select? - September 8, 2015
- Greatest Knights of Fantasy Literature - August 17, 2015
- Fantasy gods of Teth-Kiran - July 29, 2015
- Fantasy genre news 21.7.15 - July 21, 2015
- Knight of Aslath book launch giveaway - July 17, 2015
- Fantasy genre news 13.7.15 - July 14, 2015
- Book launch offer for Knight of Aslath - July 10, 2015